A Travellerspoint blog

Boarding the Caribbean Princess

Tuesday, 6 June 2017

The day dawned wet and windy in Southampton but we were snug and warm in our Highfield House room. The buffet breakfast was both varied and substantial we enjoyed both the cold and hot offerings.

We had plenty of time to pack our belongings and checked out of the room at 10:00 then sat in the foyer for an hour. The receptionist call for a taxi which arrived within minutes. Our luggage stowed he zipped down some narrow back streets and we arrived in the area of the docks in short order. The check-in was the quickest we've experienced with no less than six staff looking after the 'priority embarkation' guests. Through another Security Check and we were aboard within 30 minutes. Looking good.

The buffet on Deck 15 is designated as the 'World Fresh Marketplace' the layout and furnishings are different to any we've previously experienced. Collecting food was somewhat chaotic as we were all trying to figure out the correct sequence and direction as there was no obvious IN or OUT of the area. A quick sandwich and some fruit and we were named in an announcement from the Passengers Services. Our baggage was being held ashore by security. Not sure which of us was involved so we both fronted up at the baggage check.

It appears that I was the culprit. The offending item was my pocket knife which I use for peeling fruit. There were two faults, the blade was too long and additionally it has a locking mechanism. The offending item was confiscated but could be returned to my home address for just £50 !! Something like three times the value of the knife. Sadly I watched it being thrown into the bin.

Spent some time unpacking and sorting out the electrical connections. Managed to access the ship's intranet and registered both our accounts. We have 250 minutes of complementary Internet time. Not bad for just 12 days aboard.

The General Emergency Stations drill was scheduled for 16:00 and we made our way to Muster Station E about 30 minutes early to be assured of a seat. Slowly others drifted in and at about 15:45 there was an announcement that the drill would be postponed as a significant number of guests had not yet arrived. We returned to the cabin and Jenny spent a good deal of time rationalising the Shore Excursions as a number had been changed.

The Emergency drill was called and conducted. At the conclusion of the drill there was an announcement that tomorrow's call at St Peter Port, Guernsey was cancelled due to weather conditions. Always a potential for a tendered port. It appears we'll remain in port overnight and sail out early tomorrow.

We're not well organised tonight so we've decided to grab a quick meal on Deck 15. Appears that most of the passengers have the same idea. With little else to attract us we return to the cabin and experiment with the TV Channels, results are not promising but we did find the BBC and caught up with some News. We have an unscheduled Day at Sea tomorrow.

Until next time. Wishing you good health and safe travel.
Have a great day and stay well.
Cheers .. Tony

Posted by greynomadm 21:11 Archived in United Kingdom

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint